1. What is a sociological view of race?
2. Are populations genetically distinct enough to call races? Why not?
3. Why is variation within populations important to the biological question of race?
4. What is continuous variation? Why is there no gene for a race?
5. Have views on race stayed the same? When did our modern idea of race begin?
6. What are the main problems with early concepts of racial variation?
7. Does skin color always indicate ancestry from a tropical climate?
8. What is ethnicity? Why should we use it as a concept to study difference instead of race?
9. According to Pedro Pitarch, how is a Tzeltal Soul different from our Western conception of the soul or "the mind?"
10. Who were the 8 big religious theorists that influenced anthropology?
11. What is a reductionist theory?
12. How did later anthropologists avoid reductionism in studying religion?
13. What were the main concepts of Descola's analysis? What is an ontological scheme?
14. Why is classifying art hard for anthropologists?
15. How can anthropologists adequately study art? Why is context important for studying art objects?
16. Why do anthropologists argue symbols polyvalent?
17. Why is understanding symbols important to the anthropological study of art?
18. How does religious art have power or agency?
19. What is the difference between sex and gender?
20 How are gender roles similar around the world?
21 What are traditional gender roles?
22 What role does gender play in the division of labor?
23 How are gender roles changing?
24 What is gender stratification?
25 How does gender ideology affect social stratification?
26 How is gender ideology related to sexual exploitation?
27 Is the nuclear family universal?
28 What are some functions of the family?
29 What are some family structures?
30 Why is the family often considered the basic unit of social organization?
31 What are the core elements of a society's economy?
32 Why are conventional measures of supply and demand difficult to use in the anthropology of economics?
33 What is reciprocity? What kinds of reciprocity exist?
34 Why is there no such thing as a free gift?
35 What does the Potlatch tell us about exchange?
36 What does the Kula ring tell us about exchange?